Located in the heart of the lush Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, AZ, is blessed with over 330 days of sunshine every year. That makes Scottsdale perfect for life outdoors, and the city does not disappoint! There’s more to do, see, explore, and enjoy here than you can shake a sagebrush at, including one of the favorite pastimes in this area; golfing. If you’re moving to Scottsdale soon, read on to discover all the best things to do here!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Old Town Scottsdale
With a mix of Old West charm, new-world shopping, and dining, Old Town Scottsdale is a true delight! It’s nestled inside 9 of Scottsdale’s best neighborhoods and boasts a unique collection of galleries, nightclubs, shops, and restaurants. You’ll also find world-class museums and several historic sites dating back to the late 1800s.
The Fifth Avenue Shopping District for you shopaholics is near Old Town Scottsdale, as well as the Arts District for lovers of art. Don’t forget the Entertainment District and Scottsdale Waterfront, both excellent choices if you want something exciting and fun to do.
No matter what you’re looking for in terms of entertainment, dining, shopping, or just enjoying people-watching, you’ll find it in Old Town Scottsdale. It’s a great place to get away for a few hours, beat the heat, and meet with friends and family to enjoy a fantastic meal.
McDowell Sonoran Preserve
If biking, hiking, or horseback riding are your fun activities of choice, the McDowell Sonoran Preserve will be your favorite place in Scottsdale! This is a large, permanently protected desert habitat that allows non-motorized vehicles. (Bikes, trikes, scooters, horses, etc.) It’s also vast with over 30,000 Acres of protected land that, luckily, keeps growing every year.
The Preserve has 10 trailheads with about 200 miles of shared juice trails that will fit every level of hiker or biker. One of the best is the Sunrise Peak Summit Trail which provides spectacular views of the surrounding area. If you’re big into rock climbing, Sven’s Slab, the Granite Ballroom, and Tom’s Thumb are three of the most popular climbing spots in the Preserve.
You’ll find the McDowell Sonoran preserve along Scottsdale’s Eastern edge, with its heart at the base of the McDowell mountains. That makes it easy to access the “People’s Preserve” from almost anywhere in Scottsdale. If you visit the preserve with your family, we recommend taking one of the free guided hikes offered by the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy.
Best Restaurants in Scottsdale
Over the last 10 years, Scottsdale has become one of the hottest culinary hubs in the United States. One reason is the wealth of local produce being grown here in Arizona, which gives local chefs plenty of delicious choices to prepare excellent specialties. There are also many regional flavors, making Scottsdale one of the most exciting restaurant communities in this part of the country. Some of the best of the best are listed for you below!
- Lamp Pizzeria– Located in North Scottsdale, Lamp Pizzeria will give New York and Chicago a run for their money with their bold Italian favors and rustic interior design.
- FnB– The menu here at FnB, in the heart of downtown Scottsdale, changes constantly. The chef, Charleen Badman, also works with local wineries to present fantastic wine and food pairings every day.
- Maple & Ash– If you’re looking for outrageous and grandiose food concoctions far from the standard fare, this is the place!
- Citizen Public House– You’ll find many of your gastropub favorites at Citizen Public House, including bacon fat heirloom popcorn!
- Weft & Warp– Handmade pasta with a Mediterranean twist? Yes, please!
- The Herb Box– This decidedly elegant restaurant takes pride in sourcing ethical ingredients and using as many local, sustainable food products as possible. It shows in their delicious offerings.
- The Roaring Fork– Wood-fired cooking set this American-cuisine-serving restaurant apart from the rest. (Happy Hour sees $7 specialty cocktails!)
- Roka Akor– Delicate yet bold Sushi is only the tip of the delicious iceberg at Roka Akor!
- Dominick’s Steakhouse– Vaulted ceilings, marble floors, and 6-foot chandeliers all belie the fact that this is one of the best steakhouses in the entire city.
- Sel– The globally inspired menu at Sel features spicy, bold international influences. (We highly recommend the Strawberry Marzipan Shortcake!)
Top Golf Courses in Scottsdale
Golf is one of the favorite pastimes in Scottsdale, which is not surprising when you consider the weather here is practically perfect for golfing. With over 25 golf courses, you’ll have more than your fair share of links to hit! Below are our Top 5.
- Quintero- Public, 4 stars, and truly beautiful views.
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club- Top 100 public course in the U.S.
- TPC Scottsdale- This is where Tiger had his famous, par-3 16 hole-in-one!
- Troon North Golf Club- Tough but satisfying.
- Grayhawk Golf Club- You’ll find excellent conditioning here.
Store Your Belongings With StorAmerica Self Storage
Whether you’re visiting or just arrived with plans to stay, if you need storage units in Scottsdale, StorAmerica Self Storage is your top choice! StorAmerica Self Storage offers 3 self-storage locations in Scottsdale as well as 3 more in Phoenix and another in Tempe, Arizona. They all feature safe, secure storage units with 24/7 video security, on-site managers, and fully fenced facilities.
If you’re still hunting for a house, self-storage in Scottsdale is a must. It will ensure that your valuables, gear, and other items stay safe and sound while you search. Not sure what size storage unit you need? No problem! Our convenient size guide will give you an idea of what can fit in the typical storage unit.
When you’re ready to reserve your storage units in Scottsdale, click, call, or reserve your storage units online today! StorAmerica is waiting to help you store all your things successfully!